September/October 2015. All sessions: 7.30pm to 9.30pm
The Green House Hotel, 4 Grove Road, Bournemouth BH1 3AX
Happiness is good for you and good for society, but what makes some people happier than others?
Is it possible to attain greater happiness in life and sustain it without dramatically changing our personal circumstances?
Scientific studies by experimental psychologists have revealed that around half of your happiness level is determined by your genetic inheritance and a surprisingly small 10% reflects your life circumstances. While there may be limitations to how much you can alter your circumstances, the great news is that around 40% of your happiness level can be directly affected by simple daily activities and the conscious choices you make.
This enjoyable six-week course will enable you to explore the philosophy, psychology and science of happiness, while learning how to make the changes that will improve your own personal happiness level. We’ll also look at some common causes of unhappiness, and discover how changing your thinking and doing some basic practical activities can help you experience a happier life.
There will be a small charge for this course to help cover venue hire and expenses. All sessions: 7.30pm – 9.30pm at The Green House Hotel, Grove Road, Bournemouth BH1 3AX.
1. Big questions about life; introduction to positive and humanistic psychology: Tuesday September 8th 2015
2. Foundations for happiness – social and environmental factors:.Monday September 14th 2015
(No meeting in 3rd week of September)
3. Supporting your happiness system – physical and neurological factors: Tuesday September 29th 2015
4. Happiness habits – proven techniques to increase your level of wellbeing: Tuesday October 6th 2015
5. The science of happiness – looking at further research findings: Monday October 12th 2015
6. Pulling it all together and living your one life: Tuesday October 20th 2015
Total Course cost: £24 for non-members, or £18 for members of Dorset Humanists, or £6 for students
(Note: The total course cost is the same regardless of how many sessions you choose to attend. i.e if you are a non-member, a single upfront payment of £24 works out at only £4 per session if you choose to attend all six of them)
Ways to book:
1. See a committee member at a Dorset Humanists meeting and pay with cash or a cheque. Please make cheques payable to 'David Warden'.
2. Email David Warden at firstname.lastname@example.org and request our bank details to arrange a BACS payment.
3. Phone David Warden on 07910 886629 for BACS details
4. Contact us via the contact form on our website for our BACS details
5. Contact us in one the above ways and request a mailing address to post a cheque. This address will be David's or Simon’s home address.
Please book early to avoid disappointment due to a limited number of places!
Course leaders: David Warden BA (Hons), MA, Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, is Chair of Dorset Humanists. Phil James BSc(Hons), MSc is a Member of the British Psychological Society and currently a PhD researcher at Bournemouth University.
(The Green House Hotel can also be accessed by car and on foot via its rear entrance in Gervis Road. The hotel has a small onsite car park, and roadside parking is also available in Gervis Road).
Click here to view details of forthcoming and recent Dorset Humanists events on this website.